Tuesday 5 July 2011

No Strings Attached (2011)

***½
I think it's pretty common knowledge now that i'm a lover of all things rom-com. I'll happily sit there for hours and watch the latest Reese Witherspoon or Anne Hathaway movie, and do so with a huge rom-com grin on my face. I was no different with this one.

I honestly loved this film, it defied the basic sloppy rules of the genre and instead went for an edgier take, and that worked heavily in it's favour. I find it hard to believe but Portman and Kutcher reallyh do have great chemistry together on screen, a masterstroke by Reitman and/or his casting people for pulling that off.

It's funny, sweet and very charming and I can admit to liking every moment of it. Sure, the first 10-15 minutes are somewhat disjointed as it switches throughout the years from childhood to a meeting at college, to a meeting years later by the sea when they're all grown up, and then a random funeral. I wasn't sure what the film was trying to accomplish, besides back story but as soon as it kicks in fully it really starts powering on.
Kevin Kline is excellent in this too, an odd role but one which he excels in. The same cannot be said for the practically lineless Cary Elwes, an anonimous figure in the background of parties? He must be a close friend of Reitman's.

A really great film to just sit back and screen on a lazy Sunday or Saturday night. If there were a selection of movies to watch on a first date, this would come close to a perfect call.

No comments:

Post a Comment