Tuesday 12 July 2011

Labyrinth (1986)

****
I've gone months without revisiting old movies but lately I can't seem to stop.

There were many films when I was younger that I used to screen over and over and you've probably heard me talk about them before but this is definitely apart of that select group. Luckily it hasn't lost any of it's magic, as soon as Connelly steps into that Labyrinth the movie begins for me. It's pure fantasy, the worm on the wall who sounds like Peggy Mitchell, the bog of eternal stench, Hoggle, the list goes on.
I can even take Bowie seriously in this which is a minor miracle, if you can get past being transfixed by his mid region that is. Put it away!

The songs are still catchy and almost everyone who has seen the film knows the words, it's just one of those films that i'm sure was played in every household across the country. And once you've seen it, it's stuck with you for life.

I'm not a massive Jim Henson fan, Dark Crystal almost bored me to death but this one has so much more going for it than the puppet creatures. A work of pure skill and fantasy and one which needs to be seen young to fully appreciate. The best thing is, don't be afraid to revisit if you are, it still holds up magnificently.

No comments:

Post a Comment