Sunday 24 July 2011

Kickboxer (1989)

****
After screening the also magnificent Bloodsport a few weeks back, the martial arts bug has well and truly bitten me. Hard!

This film is breathtaking, absolutely stunning. As soon as you see Tong Po warming his shins up on the pillar in the changing room you know you're in for a treat. That guy is brutal.
JCVD is amazing too in this, especially when he's drinking the Black Death shots in the bar and then decides to get up and start dancing. I haven't laughed so hard in years, my jaw still aches. The training is very Rocky-esque, which I love, and the fight scenes are very well choreographed (by JCVD no less).
I love this film, truly love it, and I won't stop here either, i've got plenty more martial arts movies and JCVD movies planned.

If you are one of the unfortunates who haven't seen this one, get out there and track a copy down, you will not regret it. I would find it very difficult to pick a favoruite between this and Bloodsport, they're both special.

No comments:

Post a Comment