Friday 22 July 2011

City Slickers (1991)

*****
Last weekend I reshuffled my VHS collection around to make room for the new arrivals, this meant that certain films which were not clearly visible last time were now on show for everyone to see. My wife noticed this big box on the one shelf and asked if it was any good... Imagine my face! I immediately pulled it out and inserted it into the VCR.

This movie was one of my favourites as a kid, I used to rent this every other week from my local store Video Vision. I can remember being off from work with a sprained ankle for weeks and screening this every day along with Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I think I even went as far as screening it three times on the same day on a few occasions. I know that seems excessive but when you're down you always reach for the film that you know will cheer you up most, and for me City Slickers is just that. It's a hilarious feel-good movie and you'd be hard pushed to find better Crystal material anywhere else. Bruno Kirby and Daniel Stern are both perfect too as the best friends, it's just brilliant.

It actually surprised me by fairing better this time around, it's been quite a few years since I saw it and i've benefited from the break. My wife loved it too, so much so in fact that we're screening the sequel next. A film that I love almost as much as this one. We shall see how that holds up...

No comments:

Post a Comment