Tuesday 12 July 2011

The Monster Squad (1987)

*****
My Mom used to work for Sony BMG and in the building where she was situated there was a video library, and every week she would bring home RCA ex-rental tapes, like Ghostbusters, My Stepmother is an Alien etc. Well, this was one I used to ask for every week. So much so in fact that the case was severely battered by the time she left.

It's one of my earliest movie experiences and one of my all-time favourite movies, definitely a top 10 maybe higher. I find it amazing that so many people that I talk to have still not seen it, how is that possible? I recently showed it to my Niece and Nephews and now they can't stop talking about it either. My Dad has the original UK quad poster on his living room wall, I have the Mondo Tees poster on my wall, the movie goes right through the family. It's a classic! I even have the Stephen King Rules shirt.

The kids are loveable, the parents are fun, the special effects are out of this world and the plot is the kind of plot that only kids can dream up. Throw in a scary German guy and the Rock Until You Drop track and man, you've got yourself a hit Monsieur Dekker.

I love it, I love it, I love it and i'll continue to screen it every year like I do with so many other favourites. Please, if you're reading this and are among the small minority of people who still haven't seen it, SEE IT!!!

Oh, and it's highly quotable too.

No comments:

Post a Comment