Wednesday 2 February 2011

The French Connection (1971)

****¾
I have held onto this film for far too long now, the time finally came to unleash it on my eyes.

I decided to skip my VHS copy and head straight for the Blu-ray. This was not a great decision as the print isn't the greatest, it's very grainy in parts and overall pretty poor. Having said that, this was released in 1971 and i'm sure it's as good as it possibly can be.

The film was fantastic and Hackman and Scheider were amazing in the central roles.
My favourite scene was where Hackman is quietly observing and following Alain, the key Frenchman. Hackman follows him through the streets and then the subway, but it's there that Alain (played by Fernando Rey) pulls off one of the greatest and cockiest escapes i've ever seen. It shows them both getting on and off the train, then to get a cup of juice, then back on, then back off again before a great little pass and move manoeuvre to slip away. That scene was my pick of the bunch, the car chase would be far too obvious for me.

Yet another classic 70's movie on my way to visit all of the classics.
Hackman's finest hour? Quite possibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment