Sunday 27 February 2011

The Indian in the Cupboard (1995)

***½
Let me start by saying that as a kid I was completely obsessed with movies and toys. For this films plot to be based around a toy coming to life, well you could imagine how excited I was when this film came out. Sadly my parents wouldn't take me to see it in the cinema and I never got around to owning it on tape when it finally made it's way to home video. Now, some 15 years later I finally get my time.

I had a great time with this one. Alright so it's no Toy Story or Small Soldiers, but it's a hell of a lot better than Night at the Museum. The effects were pretty great and the kid was very likeable. I even like David Keith in this one which is something of a rarity for me as I cannot stand that guy's face in anything.

This film would be even greater today if it had followed through with it's Robocop Vs. Darth Vader cupboard scene. Copyright issues aside, if they could have got a hold of the rights to allow them any toys, imagine the possibilties. You could have the Ghostbusters travelling around in the Delorean. You could have the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fighting E.T.

Sunday is the day that I lock myself away in the movie room at 7am and watch a few kids movies to lighten my weeks mood. This one had me smiling throughout and for that I thank God films like this were made.

No comments:

Post a Comment