Saturday 19 February 2011

The Rescuers Down Under (1990)

***
I have a strong affection for The Rescuers (1977), I consider it one of if not the greatest Disney movie of all time (competition coming from The Jungle Book). I was about 5 years old when the sequel came out so I never got around to watching it until I turned 10, and i've never seen it since. 15 years is such a huge gap so it needed a rewatch.

I quite enjoyed it, it's got nothing on the original but it is rather fun. It always warms my heart to hear the voice of John Candy, and he's reasonably funny as Wilbur the Albatross.
What you have to admit about these films though is how dark they are. We all know Disney have a bit of a thing for making dark films, especially the earlier stuff but I was surprised at how creepy this one really is. A young boy is kidnapped by an Australian poacher and held until he tells the hunter where the eagle that he has been tracking for ages is hiding out. Not only that but he places the boy in a cage, then ties him up and leans him over a cliff and uses him as crocodile bait.

Decent and harmless enough but don't put it to the top of your Disney queue, and seek out the original if you haven't done so already. It's a classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment