Monday 28 February 2011

Celtic Pride (1996)

***½
I thought I’d take a break from screening unseen material by revisiting a childhood classic. I first saw this film back in 1997 when I was 12. I rented it from my local video store ‘Video Vision’ for the night. I must have watched this film 4 times in a row before returning it the following afternoon.

Unlike many other comedies from around the same period, I genuinely think this is one of the funnier ones. Daniel Stern is great as the Boston Celtics obsessed gym teacher, and likewise is Dan Aykroyd as the toilet repairman, and fellow Boston Celtics loving best friend. I thought Damon Wayans did a great job too, following on from the success of The Last Boyscout. This is not a patch on that film though, make no mistake that one is far superior.

As a fan of Football and sports in general, I could really relate to the character’s superstitious ways. This is a good comedy that doesn’t take itself too seriously and I still love it after all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment