Monday 14 February 2011

Enter the Void (2009)

****½
I should really know what i'm getting myself in for when it comes to a Noe film, but I don't think anything or anyone could have prepared me for what I have just witnessed. What a fantastic film!

I was in love with this one from the opening credits and score, it's just a good job I don't suffer from epilepsy as those strobe lights would have had me frothing at the mouth.

My favourite scene is the films most crucial, where Victor has lured Oscar into the Void club and he is then chased into the cubicle of the men's toilets by the police. It is there where Oscar is shot and ultimately killed but it's executed magnificently, I was genuinely terrified.

My only negative with this one is that it feels about 20-25 minutes too long. I loved the ending, even though i'm aware that it has divided many, but I felt the long LOVE hotel scene near the very end was unnecessary. I'm all for close ups of breasts and rough sex but it was a little bit too much for me. There appears to be two known running times for this movie, one at 161m and one (the version I saw) 142m.
Having said that, the ending was fantastic and really knitted in well with the *SLIGHT SPOILERS* book of the dead story. My only regret is that I missed it on the big screen, I can only begin to imagine what this must have looked like with the colours and strobe lights. Wow!

This film is not for everyone but if you are a fan of Noe's previous work, or even arty films in general then you need to check this one out. My only tip for screening it at home, TURN THE LIGHTS OFF AND CRANK THAT VOLUME UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment