Wednesday 16 February 2011

The Seven-Ups (1973)

****½
After screening and loving Sorcerer so much, I was in the mood for some more Scheider lovin'.

Now, I came into this one only expecting to mainly see Scheider, Tony Lo Bianco and Lynch but I wasn't banking on getting yet another minor Spinell (Maniac) appearance. Totally over the moon with that one, I could watch that guy in anything.
I also loved seeing Richard Lynch as the evil Moon. His face is so recognisable, he reminds me of Bill Pullman's character in Surveillance, mask on of course (not really a Surveillance spoiler).

The car chase in this film is incredible. I'd heard a few things beforehand about it so I was expecting great things and it duly delivered. The way Moon's car is hiding in front of the bus so that when the pursuing Buddy's car starts to pull up alongsode the bus to overtake, Moon leans out of the window with a sawn-off shotgun and opens fire on Buddy. Brilliant!

There are so many great moments in this one, the car-wash scenes being a particular highlight. You see the car go in, the soap start pouring, and then these guys walk out from nowhere, locking the car doors with handcuffs and walking off with the loot from the trunk. I was expecting the same the next time but it took another route which again, was pretty damn spectacular.

This for me can stand proudly among the finest 70's flicks. It's right up there with The French Connection and one not to be overlooked. Yet another addition to my #missedmoviesofthe70s list.

No comments:

Post a Comment