Monday 14 February 2011

Sorcerer (1977)

*****
I knew nothing about this film until tonight other than it was added to my huge list of #missedmoviesofthe70s.
This film stunned me, I have to say. I was just not expecting that.

The score is pretty sensational by Tangerine Dream, one of my favourites. Really creepy and atmospheric, like something fresh out of Escape From New York, very Carpenter-esque.
Scheider and Bruno Cremer are magnificent but you also have Joe Spinell turn up midway through. My favourite character in this though was the tough looking Mexican (I think) who is hired at the last minute to replace the guy he just killed, he is immense.

I never thought i'd live to see the day where I would spend 10 minutes willing trucks across a bridge. It was tense stuff and had me on the edge of my seat. The ending is pretty great too, you never really forget that particular part of the plot but when the cab rolls up it still kind of takes you by surprise.

I'd head into this film the same way as I did, that way you can enjoy it to it's fullest. I implore you to check this one out, it simply is film-making at it's most glorious. Friedkin, you are a master!

3 comments:

  1. If you liked this, you'll probably also enjoy Henri-Georges Clouzot's original, THE WAGES OF FEAR. It's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard great things about that one, would you say better than SORCERER? I'll check it out anyway but if you say yes, it could get a queue jump in my HUGE list of films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both films are excellent, but since you loved SORCERER so much, it might actually be a good idea to wait before you head right into WAGES OF FEAR. That said, WAGES OF FEAR is an all-time great, and Clouzot was a master -- so do catch up with it eventually.

    ReplyDelete