Tuesday 3 May 2011

Tomboy (1985)

**
Pulled straight from my VHS collection, this one jumped right out at me.

The opening 5 minutes of this film features more than 12 high fives, that must be some sort of record. Then you have a meaningless but pretty awesome dance montage, the kind of routine which would make Heavenly Bodies and Aerobicide blush. I know I had to calm myself down after it.

It could also be the first film to show a greeting in which a man sucks a woman's finger instead of the more universally spoken symbol of hello. That whole scene was bizarre.

The acting is abysmal for the most part with Eric Douglas putting in a terrible performance as Ernie Leeds Jr. I wanted to punch ten tons of shit out of his face, and talking about face punching there's a scene in the middle part of the film where Randy flattens Tommy with a rabbit punch. You won't expect it but you'll find it hard not to laugh.

The scenes in this movie are so pointless. The most ridiculous of them all is when Tommy sees the desperate Harold at the bar and invites him back to hers. She drives him there on the back of her bike, walks into the house and then says, "You better go Harold. Another time maybe." What was the fucking point in that? Arrggghhh, so annoying.

I haven't seen another film with this much cheese in it and doubt that I ever will. It's not annoying fun for the most part but there is a certain charm to it, I guess. And it's that charm which shines through and a good job too because it saves this from being a total piece of dogshit. The soundtrack is it's only real saving grace though.

A real cheese-fest with some terrible acting. Don't say you weren't warned first.

No comments:

Post a Comment