Monday 23 May 2011

Chopping Mall (1986)

***½
I'm a little bit obsessed with movies set in malls. One of my favourite movies is One Wild Night aka Career Opportunities which is about a couple that get locked in a mall after hours. Mannequin is another one.

What I find hilarious about this one is the fact that for years i'd look at that cover art and think about what the robots looked like that patrolled the mall. They look like the hands that belong to a 7 foot Rollerball type robot, but instead they're from Johnny 5 and he's a little more than alive. I have some major issues with the killers but you need to look past that obstacle if you're going to enjoy the film.

The score is amazing, more than matches the tone of the film it at sometimes carries it.
I don't wish to give away any spoilers here but this one features one of the greatest deaths ever committed to film, that head explosion took my breath. I mean bravo, sir. Bravo.
The deaths aren't that bad in general to be honest. I mean you're looking at a 4 foot tall Short Circuit style robot, but they have these litter pickers for arms and shoot lasers.

A really cool 80's horror movie and possibly one of my favourites. The action is pretty much there for the whole running time, it just jumps right in with the killer robots from the get-go.

No comments:

Post a Comment