Saturday 21 May 2011

Judgment Night (1993)

*****
A personal top 20 movie of all time for me. I have seen it more than a hundred times and I never tire of it.

A few years had passed before my last screening and just as I was heading off to bed, it comes on BBC1. What was I going to do? It would be a crime to miss it.
It's like The Warriors for the 90's. You've got 4 guys who have to bop their way back home from the middle of nowheresville against some of the meanest American gangsters. Cuba Gooding even sports a brown leather jacket and Stephen Dorff has the exact same pair of black gloves that Ajax has, and he's the rogue one of the group.
Some of the scenes are really tense, the classic one that always sticks in my mind is where they all hide in the carriage of a train on a deserted track. The carriage is full of tramps and in order to pay for their silence, the group have to give away all of their valuables. It's one of those where you dare'st move yourself at home, in fear of Leary finding you. Then of course you have the roof scene with Piven tring to negotiate with the gangsters who are after them.
I can literally quote 80% of the script and do most days. The soundtrack is incredible too, rarely bettered.

For me it's one of the most star studded, underated movies ever released. Did it even get a cinema release? If you haven't seen it, correct that right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment