Tuesday 21 June 2011

Candleshoe (1977)

****
This is a fantastic old school Disney movie, much better than Mary Poppins in my honest and humble opinion.

I was one of the very few people who never got to see Mary Poppins when I was younger, I grew up in the shadow of people who rated it as one of the greatest Disney movies of all time. Now, I can agree that yes, it is a good film but it didn't grab me like this one did. I loved the butler/driver/gardener character Priory, he was what Dick Van Dyke was trying to achieve but failed miserably in my opinion. The kids were great too, even if the youngest boy couldn't act to save his life. Wooden has a new meaning with that kid. The Grandmother was very annoying, that has to be said but it didn't really affect the film too much, and Foster was her usual best, at least best as a kid.

The story was also fantastic, a good old fashioned con movie/treasure hunt. Those are my kind of films.

I loved it! It really brought a smile to my face and has made me want to revisit more of the 70's to early 80's Disney efforts. It was fairly unknown to me at the time but I think this is one seriously underrated and underappreciated movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment