Monday 14 March 2011

Teen Witch (1989)

****
I picked this film up from a Wal-Mart last year on my trip across the States, it was a double-bill feature with The Heavenly Kid (another movie I haven't seen). It's one that I have been meaning to fit into the schedule at some point but I always keep putting it back. My wife finally pushed me as she remembered it from her youth.

I loved this film. From the laughable acting to the ridiculous and over the top dance sequences, this one blew me away. I want my hair in a scrunchie. I want a denim jacket from Shana. Hell, I even wanted Brad. It needs to be screened to be believed, it's pure 80's magic.
There are so many dodgy moments and bad filming throughout but it's completely outmuscled by the pitch-perfect soundtrack. Within the first 10 minutes you can clearly see the sound microphone dropping into shot about 4 times. The Brother is the most annoying screen presence that I have witnessed in a long time, I just wanted to punch his fat cheeks in. Then you have Brad, who apparently can switch between Louise (Teen Witch) and Randa whenever he chooses and neither seem to mind. Did I mention that she turns the annoying brother into a dog and then turns him back by dunking him in a ready-made bubble bath? Well she does.

Nobody can prepare you for the Top That! scene. I had a few nudges and I wasn't sure what to look out for, but when you see the bikes stop at the end of the street it's dreamland from there on in. Enjoy!

One of the best 80's movies. It can certainly stand tall among the cheesiest and finest from that period.

No comments:

Post a Comment