Monday 14 March 2011

Loverboy (1989)

****½
"Randy Bodek has no idea how to treat a woman . . . but he's working on it."

Yet another entry into the #missedmoviesofthe80s for me. Having been a huge admirer of Dempsey's earlier films such as Can't Buy Me Love, I am at a loss as to how this one passed me by.
Dempsey was and still is to some certain degree a very likeable actor, but in his teens he was just incredible, he's no different here.

The women in this movie are smokin' hot. You have wonderful little cameos from both Carrie Fisher and Kirstie Alley but Randy's mom is even hotter than those two put together. The 'hottie' honour has to go to Nancy Valen though, she is absolutely stunning. It's made me want to track down some of her work like The Heavenly Kid etc. There are some really great scenes, some hilarious and the various characters all add something to the movie especially the Italian exchange student who works at Senor Pizza.
It does however get a little mad-capped and rushed towards the end but that doesn't harm the overall experience too much. I want one of those Korean robots!

This for me was even better than Can't Buy Me Love. I'll go as far as to say that it's in my top 80's movies of all time. I really had a great time with it. Both funny and charming, it's a bona-fide classic. < See what I did there?

No comments:

Post a Comment