Sunday 30 January 2011

The Longest Yard (1974)

****
One of my absolute favourites from the 70's. My wife and I have the UK quad poster on the wall in our house but she'd ever actually seen the film so I thought it was a great time to revisit it, seeing as though i've been nailing that decade lately.

It hadn't aged a bit, in fact it only gets better with each viewing. Unlike the awful remakes where they cast wrestlers and big name Hollywood stars as the guards and inmates, this one casts real tough looking men and it just works. Obviously the film needs a few main stars to carry it's weight but I thought the casting choices were spot on. Reynolds is fantastic as the quarterback Paul Crewe, and the guards are all mean as hell.

I love this film and if you haven't seen it, please correct that.

No comments:

Post a Comment