Sunday 9 January 2011

The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

***
My wife has been bugging me to see this film for years now. When we were on our road trip across the States early last year, you could not stop her and her Sister singing "Texas, has a whorehouse in it! Lord have mercy on our souls.". There was nothing on TV so I cut her a deal, stop singing and i'll watch it.

Plot:
Town Sheriff and regular patron, fights to keep a historical whorehouse open when a TV preacher targets it as the Devils playhouse.

I'm not a huge fan of musicals, but this one was reasonably fun. It helps that I quite like Dolly and love a bit of Burt. Don't get me wrong though, I don't ever want to see Charles Durning (Governor) singing about doing the side step. It's just wrong, so wrong.
I also quite liked the Sheriff's (Reynolds) one liners throughout. Stuff like; "Boys, I got myself a pretty good bullshit detector, and I can tell when somebody's peeing on my boots and telling me it's a rainstorm." Or "I'm gonna knock you so flat, you'll have to roll down your socks to shit!"

The musical numbers don't outstay there welcome and are few and far between so that it doesn't become too overpowering, unlike something like White Christmas which I cannot stand.

If you like to see scantily clad women (and lots of them), a good old warm hearted story, and a few musical numbers thrown in for good measure? Then you could do a lot worse than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment