Thursday 6 January 2011

127 Hours (2010)

*****
High score indeed!

Let me start by saying I was looking forward to this film quite a bit, but only in the sense that it was a true story and directed by Danny Boyle. I was expecting another Gerry type film if i'm being totally honest.

Thank JVC that it wasn't, because this film literally took me through every single emotion, and it takes a very powerful film to do that to a VHS collecting geek.


I won't bore anyone with the plot as we all know the story here, but what I will say is that I absolutely adored it from beginning to end. I'm not even afraid to admit that I got rather emotional and teary eyed towards the very end. This was probably helped by the fact that my favourite band's track 'Festival' was accompanying that very scene. Every Tom, Dick and Harry uses there music to beef up an emotional moment or event these days, but none done more effectively in my opinion than right here.

James Franco puts in a really strong performance and Mr. Boyle does a fantastic job of story telling. I loved the flashbacks and dream sequences, they gave me a great insight into his mind and the things that really matter in life. I can't praise it enough.

It gets released nationwide tomorrow in the UK and I urge everyone to go and see it. It's a very moving film and one that i'm not going to forget in a very long time. Not everyone will share my opinion on this i'm sure, but each movie affects us all in a different way and this definitely got to me.

It's definitely laid down the marker for my film of the year already, and it's January. What a start to the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment