Sunday 23 January 2011

Black Swan (2010)

****½
Probably my most anticipated movie of the year. Having been released in the States towards the end of 2010, I was hearing great review after great review, so my expectation level was going through the roof. This film lived up to the hype in every sense. I never thought I would love a film about ballet so much!

Let's get one thing out of the way first, the perfomances of both Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis are exceptional, as to is Vincent Cassel as the demanding dance instructor who needs to see 'The Black Swan'. The highlight for me was seeing Barbara Hershey as the pushy mother, a little too pushy though and rather creepy in fact.

There are no extra stars awarded here either for 'that' scene with Kunis and Portman in the bedroom, this is all down to story and execution. I'm a huge admirer of Aronofsky and this is another piece of magic from him, it's just hit after hit with this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment