Monday 3 January 2011

The Driver (1978)

****
It's films like this that make me realise why we were all given eyes.
Walter Hill has made some great cast choices in his time, like Murphy and Nolte in 48HRS and Candy and Pryor in Brewster's Millions, but by placing Ryan O'Neal and Bruce Dern on screen he created a monster. I freakin' loved this movie so much! It's completely deadpan and mentions no character names whatsoever. It also boasts some of the greatest car chases/crashes ever comitted to celluloid. Isabelle Adjani is a fox in it too, although she never smiles either.
I used to think I was an 80's kid but i'm fast becoming a lover of all things 70's.
I'd also like to add that Ryan O'Neal would have made a great Swan in The Warriors, his performance in this is very similar to that of Michael Beck.
If you haven't seen it or haven't even heard of it, correct that fact immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment