Sunday 9 January 2011

Freebie and the Bean (1974)

*****
Say hello to my top 100 of all time, boys.

Freebie is played by James Caan, and the Bean by Alan Arkin. It's the story of two police detectives who armed with one piece of evidence decide to bring down a local hijacking boss (Red Meyers). But before they can do so, they here news of a hitman who is out to kill Meyers.

As soon as the film started I knew I was in for a treat. That opening scene where they are rummaging through the garbage that they have collected in the boot of their car is priceless, as is the opening title sequence and music.

There are so many great scenes in this movie that it would be criminal of me to single one out, so it's only right that I pick up on a few of the more stellar ones (they all are).
Armed with their only shred of evidence, Freebie and Bean set off to interrogate the local scum in an effort to track down Motley. They visit a bum named Whitey at a construction site, and at the top of a crane they ask him a few questions. It's a hilarious scene and one where we first see Arkin lose it. "You got insurance up here?" "I'm getting crazy, i'm getting crazy up here!"
Then, a little while later they decide to interrogate Whitey further, but this time at his home. After slapping him around a bit, Bean reaches for his notebook anticipating the information and Whitey starts to spill. Then Freebie throws a dummy shot before punching him in the stomach. It sounds like a serious scene and it is to some degree, but it's played out with such great comedy like timing that it needs to be seen to be believed.
The on screen connection between Caan and Arkin is just fantastic, it's such a shame that they haven't done anything else together (that I know of). I was cracking up at the constant Mexican pop shots that Freebie kept throwing at Bean too.

Another scene shows them both in the D.A's office where they keep interrupting each other and annoying the D.A. "I want you both to sit down. Just sit down."

I could go all day just mentioning lines from this movie and scene after scene, like beating up the Cadillac salesman from Detroit. The fight with the Cowboy at the hotel, and then again after he wouldn't shut up in the car en route to the station. Every scene is a classic and most had me in stitches too.

"Dirty bastard. Dirty Bastard. Dirty, dirty bastard."

I hope I wasn't the only one to notice James Caan's stunt double on the bike, he looked like a cross between Bruce Dern and Tom Waits.

One of my favourite and funniest scenes from the movie is when Freebie makes a call and says "I do a terrific Texas accent. Watch this." Freebie's Texan accent is absolutely atrocious, and after putting the phone down he says; "I can do it better." it's flawless.

The 10 minute scene between Arkin and his wife are also some of the finest minutes in cinema that i've ever seen. They're hilarious. He's accusing her of all this stuff and she literally has an answer for everything.

The film is beyond brilliant and I could talk about it for hours, I know i'll certainly be quoting it.
It has such a wonderful ending too which I don't want to spoil, but I will say that it ties in perfectly with the feel of the rest of the film.
This is one that I would recommend to anyone and everyone, it's one i'm going to revisit time and time again. Like I said at the start, I don't like to rush decisions when it comes to favourite films but this is the exception, it has easily bulldozed it's way into my top 100.

Watch it!!!!!!! It's amazing and totally deserving of the 5 stars that I have given it.

No comments:

Post a Comment