Saturday 29 January 2011

Blue Valentine (2010)

*****
This film just knocked me right off my feet. I'm not sure what I was expecting going into it. I hadn't seen the trailer and I knew very little about the plot, all I knew was that Ryan Gosling was in it whom I absolutely love, he's such an underrated actor.

This film is so brutal and very emotional. I can't say that i'm going to revisit it very often as it's a difficult watch, but it's also one that had a very emotional impact on me. It's basically a love story, I don't want to spoil anything more than that.

It's weird that in the film there is a scene where they mourn the loss of their pet dog, and after the film that's the same feeling I got back from this experience. Weird I know but it's true.

There are some parts of this movie that remind me of Once, another great love story. None more so than the scene in which Ryan Gosling's character is playing the Ukulele to Michelle Williams while singing "You Always Hurt the Ones You Love". Damn, that scene hit me harder than any other.

Go see this film! It's fantastic. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment