Wednesday 3 August 2011

Best of the Best (1989)

***
This movie started very strongly, that opening credit track was sensational. Sadly the movie took a bit of a nose dive right after and never recovered.

Now I love my martial arts movies, Bloodsport, Kickboxer, No Retreat No Surrender etc. but for the life of me I just could not get into this one like I should have. The characters were pretty lifeless, which is more than I can say for Eric Roberts's hair, gorgeous is how I would describe that. The acting isn't too bad and the fighting scenes are superbly and violently executed, especially the ones involving Tommy. I thought Penn's character was an asshole, the intention I know, but seriously? Come on.

The nail in the coffin for me was the final scene, the big fight off. I won't name names because it would spoil it for some but basically it's the dialogue and acting in those final few moments that sealed it's fate.
 James Early Jones was also very annoying, I wanted to drop kick his miserable ass throughout.

A very average martial arts movie that tries to pull above it's weight but just can't seem to break through. See Kickboxer instead, or any other Van Damme movie for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment