Saturday 9 April 2011

High Fidelity (2000)

****
A personal favourite and major point of reference for me. So imagine my horror when my Wife dropped the bombshell that she hadn't seen it. Before she even finished the sentence I was already out of my chair heading for the movie room, I picked up the tape and she experienced the magic.

I have always loved this movie, and as a fellow collector I can really relate to the John Cusack's character. His love for all things vinyl is exactly the same as mine for VHS. The way he organises his shelves to the way he's always ranking them in order of top 5, it's just like my collection.
In my opinion this is one of Jack Black's best performances. Although not a major part in the film he is still integral to the key funny scenes and superb finale, which probably launched his career. The cameos are fantastic in this too, from Tim Robbins to Joan Cusack to Catherine Zeta Jones etc.
I'm a huge Cusack fan, most notably his 80's work but this one is a cracker that I like to revisit a lot.

This is just one of those great break-up movies that can proudly stand among the likes of Almost Famous, Swingers and so on. I don't need to say much more as you're all probably aware of it's greatness, unlike my Wife. But that has now been corrected.

No comments:

Post a Comment