Sunday 3 April 2011

Babes in Toyland (1986)

**
My Mom used to work for Sony BMG when I was little and she would always bring back VHS tapes from the label RCA. Over the years we'd constantly watch the same films over and over like The Monster Squad, Ghostbusters and alike but there was always one film that I could never remember the name of. The only thing I knew about it was that it featured a shop on the corner of a street and it was really snowing. I knew deep down that with only tose two fragments of a memory i'd never be able to track the movie down, litte did I know that my Sister would be the one to locate it. After years and years of racking my brain I asked her and she said Babes in Toyland. Quite bizarre considering she's the worst person in the world when it comes to movies.

I couldn't wait to screen this one as part of my Sunday screenings, hoping that it would bring back some memories and put me in a good mood. Sadly this only goes to further strengthen the fact that some films are better left in the past, remembering them for how they made you feel back then.
Drew Barrymore and Keanu Reeves do their very best here but the acting overall is atrocious, as is the story really. The songs are cringeworthy already without the lips sync added. Imagine an 11 year old Drew singing like a 40 year old woman? It's not great on the old ears, let me tell you.

It's a shame that this film is terrible because the opening 10-15 minutes show a great deal of promise. I can't believe that imdb show a run time of 90 minutes, because the version I had was on for almost two and a half hours! And man did it drag.

No comments:

Post a Comment